Glamorous Wardrobe Makeover


When I promised an impending furniture makeover I truly did mean it, see....

BEFORE
Confession: Because I'm a naughty blogger I forgot to take a real before pic so this is just an example I found on-line. The actual robe I madeover was in way worse shape than this one though and didn't have any mirrors or a head plinth but you get the idea, right?

Having come straight from the tip the finish on the robe was weathered almost dry (not in the nice silver coastal way though, more in the cruddy "I've-been-in-landfill-for-the-past-two-months" way) so it was pretty easy to take it right back to raw timber with a light sand.
Having a raw base gave me a few finishing options so rather than just paint it black, I instead chose to apply two coats of ebony timber stain.


The rich semi-transparent stain sees the timber grain peeking through here and there which gives the robe a rustic, antiquated elegance.

To compliment the commanding black base and add a unique touch, I highlighted the corners and grooves with genuine copper pigment paint which, after first trying to apply with a brush, I eventually figured out was easiest rubbed on using my finger.



I rarely use gloss sealers though in this case, to create some extra impact and formalise the rusticness of the transparent stain for a bit of an eclectic edge, it works perfectly.

Finally, the handles, escutcheons and key were coated in the copper pigment paint for that finishing touch.


Tip: Painted metal can scratch easily so for some added resilience bake it in the oven after each coat. The heat helps set and bond the paint and, whilst not fool-proof, will strengthen the finish some what.







Post a Comment

Daha yeni Daha eski