DIY Wood Christmas Sign (No Stenciling or Calligraphy Needed!)

Pin It

DIY wood Christmas sign -how to make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
For my Christmas bedroom, I envisioned having a cute little wood saying on the wall above my bed. I just thought it would be the perfect way to tie everything in. But, now I love it so much I want to leave it year around :) ...."& to all a good night" works for other days too, right? Maybe I'll just have to make another one with a different saying! Good thing it was so easy to make! Here's the super simple tutorial on how to make a sign like this, or another saying without being a calligrapher or stenciling!

Supplies:
6' foot 1x12 board
Silhouette or other paper cutter
Font you like
Black cardstock
Painters tape
White paint
Dark Walnut Minwax
D-rings

 Step 1: I found the font that I wanted, the saying I wanted and cut it out using my Silhouette. The font is Biloxi Calligraphy. You can do this with any other cutter too. I started off with a font that was a little too big, it would have worked, but I didn't want to use my whole 8' board. I just wanted it to measure 6'. So, I had to adjust the font size to fit the 6'.

Step 2: I used painters tape to tape off the outside edge. 
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
 Step 3: I then painted the middle portion of the board white.
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
 Step 4: After pulling off the tape, I then stained the raw edge Dark Walnut by Minwax. (sorry, stain not pictured)
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
 Step 5: I then laid out the letters onto the board. I found the line where I wanted them to sit and just placed my tape measure along it to give me a visual of where the letters should be.
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
 Step 6: After moving the letters to where they needed to be, I then used Mod Podge to secure them into place. I didn't do any underneath the letter, just on the top. Also, to do this, it helps to do the top half of the letter first and wait for that the dry a little, and then do the bottom. This helps the letters to not shift so bad.
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
 As you can see, in the picture above, I did the staining at the end. I would recommend doing it in step 4 like I mentioned :)

Once everything was all dried, I secured 2 d-rings onto the back to hang it up. I made sure to hang it up in the studs since I'm kind of paranoid of things falling on my head in the middle of night :) That's why I never have had anything above my bed until now. So far, so good! No night time scares!

To finish this look off, I just hung a dried boxwood wreath on top of it.
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
 I just love how much this signed added to the room! And it only cost the price of the wood! I wish I could remember how much that was....under $10 for sure :)
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!
 And this size was perfect for the space, if I had done even 7' it would have been way to long. I think maybe next time doing even a square sign might look cute :)
DIY wood Christmas sign -make this sign without stencils or calligraphy!

Post a Comment

Daha yeni Daha eski